Richard L. Gershberg (Rick), Estate Planning Attorney
Richard L. Gershberg (Rick) is the founder and managing member of the law firm of Gershberg & Associates, LLC, established in 1985. He combines an extensive background in business and corporate law with a wide range of legal experience, including civil litigation and immigration, to provide his clients with a uniquely practical perspective. An attorney since 1980, he now devotes his practice primarily to estate planning, asset protection and helping his clients avoid probate and taxes. Although Mr. Gershberg’s practice concentrates in the areas of Estate Planning and Business and Corporate Transactions, he oversees all of the Firm’s practice areas, which include: Estate Planning, Business and Corporate, Litigation, Immigration, and Personal Injury. Mr. Gershberg has presented estate planning seminars for private and public audiences and immigration seminars for the Baltimore Bar Association and private corporations. Mr. Gershberg has represented clients before U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, U.S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Maryland, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Executive Office for Immigration Review (Immigration Court), the Board of Immigration Appeals and Circuit and District Courts throughout the State of Maryland. He has lectured before the Baltimore Bar Association and other professional associations as well as Sterling Educational Services. He has been consulted as a resource on legal matters by WBAL Channel 11 (NBC Affiliate in Baltimore) and for Fox 45 (Fox affiliate in Baltimore), as well as local practitioners.
Mr. Richard L. Gershberg, an active member of his community, is well aware of the growing importance of estate planning and dedicates himself to informing the public of the need for careful attention to their specific situations.
PROFESSIONAL AND BAR MEMBERSHIPS
- Admitted to practice before the Maryland Court of Appeals, U.S. District Court of Maryland and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Member of the American Academy of Estate Planning Attorneys (AAEPA)
- Member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)
- Member of the Maryland State Bar Association
- Member of the Baltimore City Bar Association
- Member of the Baltimore County Bar Association
- Admitted to courts pro hac vice in the states of New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia
EDUCATION AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- A.B. from Washington University in Saint Louis where he graduated with honors from the Department of Economics
- J.D. from the University of Baltimore, staff writer University of Baltimore Law Journal
- Law Clerk to the late Honorable Solomon Liss, Court of Special Appeals.
Mr. Gershberg, rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, has been practicing law since 1980 when he rejoined the general practice firm of Gordon & Heneson P.A., where he began as a law clerk. After clerking there during law school, Mr. Gershberg left to serve as the judicial law clerk to the Honorable Solomon Liss, Associate Judge on the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland. In 1985, Mr. Gershberg and two other attorneys founded the law firm of Gershberg, Honeyman & Pearl with offices in downtown Baltimore. Mr. Honeyman left the firm to serve as an Immigration Judge in Philadelphia. Mr. Pearl left the firm to manage one of the Firm’s business clients. The Firm has been in its current location in Owings Mills, Maryland since May of 1997.
With extensive experience in litigation, business and corporate transactions and immigration, Mr. Gershberg brings a unique perspective to the practice of estate planning.
Mr. Gershberg has continued to receive the highest designation of A-V Preeminent from Martindale Hubbell, an international peer review service recognizing lawyers for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards. Less than 10% of all lawyers hold an A-V Preeminent rating.
Mr. Gershberg has been repeatedly designated as a Maryland Super Lawyer in the fields of Estate Planning and Trust and Estate Administration. Less than 5% of all practicing attorneys receive this designation.
Mr. Gershberg has been repeatedly named as a Five Star Investment professional advisor as well.
Mr. Gershberg has successfully handled many major cases for the Firm’s clients over many years with the assistance of his dedicated staff. Below is a sample of just a few:
- Represented the surviving entity in a Merger-Share Exchange, which combined two companies from the United States and three companies from the United Kingdom to create a US Public Company that traded on the Over the Counter Bulletin Board Market (OTCBB); value of transaction $19 Million. Served as General Counsel for over 2 years thereafter.
- Represented numerous clients in the creation, acquisition and sale of health clubs in the Baltimore Metropolitan area, including Gold’s Gym, Quest Health & Fitness, Planet Fitness, and Spunk Fitness.
- Represented numerous restaurant owners, including the Charleston Group in the creation, establishment, negotiation of Leases and financing for the Charleston Restaurant, Petit Louis Bistro, PAZO Restaurant and Bin 604 Wine Sellers.
- Recovered One Million Dollars ($1,000,000.00) for the victims of a shooting spree by a disgruntled law student at the Appalachian School of Law, in Grundy Virginia. (Estate of Angela Dales, et al v. Appalachian School of Law).
- Recovered Nine Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars ($950,000.00) in cash and accounts from a major bank for a small credit card processing company. (Electronic Card Acceptance Corporation v. First Virginia Bank).
- Recovered Seven Hundred Thousand Dollars ($700,000.00) for the family of a 78-year-old man who died as a result of an explosion which occurred due to a faulty natural gas line.
- Recovered Two Hundred Eighty Thousand Dollars ($280,000.00) for an elderly victim of a fall outside a K-Mart Store, which caused life-threatening injuries.
- Recovered Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars for minority stockholders against corporations based on fraud.
- Successfully represented the heir of a more than $7,000,000.00 Estate to protect against a Will Caveat from relatives (Estate of Schrader, Baltimore County).
- Successfully represented a Natural Religious Charity against a claim of disgruntled heirs trying to prevent a 3.5 Million Dollar bequest (Estate of Viverette vs. Watch Tower Bible and Trust Society, Baltimore City).
Richard L. Gershberg has devoted a good deal of his free time to his community including as a little league soccer, baseball and softball coach for eleven years. Mr. Gershberg has also served for many years as Counsel for a number of non-profit organizations including Rehabilitation Opportunities, Inc., a sheltered workshop for mentally and physically challenged adults in Prince Georges County, Maryland, and the Adat Chaim Congregation in Reisterstown, Maryland. He also enjoys serving as a volunteer skipper for the Downtown Sailing center in Baltimore. Mr. Gershberg is married and the father of two children.
The law firm of Gershberg & Associates assists clients with Corporate Transactions, Business Organizations, Business Litigation, Immigration, Estate Planning, Probate & Estate Administration, Litigation, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death in the Greater Baltimore Metropolitan area and throughout the State of Maryland.